Zverev beats stomach bug to win battle of Wimbledon young guns

Roger Federer

"But I'll be back".

Although the Australian fended off a match point, he was unable to save the second, with Nadal approached the net playing a backhand volley to seal the win.

He fired 18 aces and 61 winners past Zverev who said he felt he had been "unplugged" in the fourth set. I played well on clay, so it's coming together slowly.

Even in a tournament that has featured a bloodbath of seeds, this was a particularly savage shock.

Kiki Bertens grabbed a decisive break in the 18th game to beat ninth-seeded Venus Williams 6-2 6-7 (5) 8-6 and reach the fourth round at Wimbledon for the first time. Gulbis had won only one Tour match in 2018 before Wimbledon and has been working his way back up the rankings on the Challenger Tour. "I was seeing the ball much better".

Top seed and defending champion Roger Federer needed just over an hour and a half to book a fourth-round spot by beating big-serving German Jan-Lennard Struff 6-3 7-5 6-2. "I realised that he was getting exhausted, yes, so".

A win in last 16 could see him potentially face 12-time Grand Slam champion Novak Djokovic in the quarter-finals.

England pledge to attack Croatia in World Cup semi-final
Croatia coach Zlatko Dalic has only one real injury concern heading into Wednesday's World Cup semi-final in Russian Federation . Cüneyt Çakır has managed a World Cup semi-final before, officiating the 2013 match between Netherlands and Argentina.

Na eases to five-shot PGA Tour victory
He sank a five-foot birdie putt at the fourth and one twice as long at the fifth before dropping a 32-footer at the sixth. Kraft birdied the last for an even par 70 and solo second place ahead of compatriots Brandt Snedeker and Jason Kokrak.

How to Watch England vs. Croatia
Either way, they face their biggest test yet this World Cup and in the biggest game of their careers. He's been showing season in, season out that he's one of the best strikers in the Premier League.

"I think I can be very happy today", said Federer, who will next face France's Adrian Mannarino. "Probably my experience and fitness kicked in". Everybody does. He has a good team around him, people who know how to work, who know what to give him, these extra things.

"But then I thought, Well, if I don't feel well, it's going to be one set".

Zverev's 20-year-old American opponent had won his first-ever match at Wimbledon earlier this week but was denied the standout victory that looked possible on Thursday.

Next up for Djokovic will be 22-year-old Russian Karen Khachanov, who rallied from two sets down to defeat American Francis Tiafoe 4-6, 4-6, 7-6 (7-3), 6-2, 6-1 on Saturday.

Juan Martín del Potro outpowered Benoît Paire 6-4, 7-6 (4), 6-3. Few are talking about the Argentinian as a potential victor next Sunday but he is still yet to drop a set. "Thought I'd go out there and try". If he can win in three straight sets very easily, he'll do that.

Crucially for his hopes there are no issues with the career-threatening wrist injury that kept him out during most of 2014 and 2015. "If I feel better, it might be two". It showed in the stats, with Del Potro hitting 32 winners to 16 unforced errors. "This match showed I can't take anything for granted".

"I am happy to be able to play in the third round tomorrow".

Related news:

Hot News

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Israel announces Gaza sanctions in response to cross-border blazes
Jul 11, 2018 - 22:39
Wildfires have razed 7,000 acres of forests and farmland, Israel says. "There will be other steps which I won't detail", he said. The shuttered Kerem Shalom crossing is Gaza's main conduit for trade - albeit under years of Israeli restrictions.

NYU: Scientists Capture Breaking of Glacier in Greenland
Jul 11, 2018 - 22:18
It only took 30 minutes for an iceberg almost half the size of Manhattan to separate from a glacier in Greenland. Meanwhile, smaller pinnacle icebergs, which are tall and thin, can be seen calving off and flipping over.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Cardi B & Offset Welcome A Baby Girl Kulture
Jul 11, 2018 - 22:17
Fans believed they were only engaged as Offset dropped to one knee last October at a concert for a very public proposal . It's the 25-year-old's first child with husband and fellow rapper Offset , whose legal name is Kiari Kendrell Cephus.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Djokovic slams Wimbledon crowd after being booed
Jul 11, 2018 - 22:17
I think he needs to use all his shots better. "You have to learn from your losses but I think I put a decent level out on court". The fourth set was tighter but Djokovic's more rounded game and experience ultimately proved decisive.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Roger Federer loses five-set match to Kevin Anderson
Jul 11, 2018 - 21:59
That initial burst gave Federer 34 successive sets won at Wimbledon , equalling his own record set between 2005 and 2006. That will be played at Centre Court, of course, a spot Federer knows well. "That was very important", he added.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Former UCLA guard Knight found dead at 39
Jul 11, 2018 - 21:37
Give your soul. "Either I'll be in heaven or will be in hell or I'll be in limbo, I don't know, but I'll take that chance". A Los Angeles native, Knight played for the Bruins from 1997 to 2002, averaging eight points and two rebounds per game.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Remember Gareth Southgate In This Pizza Hut Advert?
Jul 11, 2018 - 21:03
The Duke of Cambridge, who is president of the Football Association, told the Three Lions the whole country is behind them. Speaking to Sky News , the ex-footballer said: "Football's coming home, I couldn't listen to it for 20 years, frankly".

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top "Alien Life Payload?" NASA's Kepler Spacecraft Downloads Exoplanet Science Data
Jul 11, 2018 - 20:40
This will be possible only after a few weeks, so the last remnants of fuel are saved for the last stage of operation of the probe. The data from this mission will help astronomers to confirm previous exoplanet candidates, as well as find any new candidates.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top European Space Agency Taps Airbus for Mars Sample Return Mission
Jul 11, 2018 - 20:21
Airbus in Stevenage, England will design a rover aimed at collecting Martian soil samples and returning them to Earth. Fetch will then return to its lander, which has a cylinder attached to it that contains a Mars Ascent Vehicle.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top England bask in World Cup glow
Jul 11, 2018 - 20:05
Check out the brand new daily JOE World Cup Minipod hosted by Dion Fanning and Paddy McKenna. "The dream goes on! Controlled the game.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Russell Knox wins Irish Open after monstrous playoff putt
Jul 11, 2018 - 20:00
The New Zealander had that putt for the title but missed on the high side and the pair were left to go back up the last. I've done it before in the USA on the last hole, 12 feet.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Photo of DJI's upcoming Mavic 2 leaked online hints at swappable cameras
Jul 11, 2018 - 19:41
DroneDJ says it received a photo from a tipster showing what's allegedly a new model that hasn't been announced yet - the Mavic 2. A closer look at the alleged DJI Mavic 2 photo revealed that it looked like a sleeker and more aerodynamic DJI Mavic Pro.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Sanctions have turned into opportunity: Iran's defense chief
Jul 11, 2018 - 19:28
The US has told India and other countries to cut oil imports from the Gulf nation to "zero" by November 4 or face sanctions. Iran supplied 18.4 million tonnes of crude oil during April 2017 and January 2018 (first 10 months of 2017-18 fiscal).

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top May stares down Brexit plan backlash as ministers quit
Jul 11, 2018 - 19:12
Mr Fabricant lauded Mrs May's Brexit plan as a "pragmatic compromise". "As an ardent Brexiteer, I go for the former". May named one of her most loyal ministers, Jeremy Hunt, to replace Johnson in the job of Britain's top diplomat.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Kylie Jenner Reveals The "One Thing" She Was Insecure About For Stormi
Jul 11, 2018 - 18:23
She didn't get those from me, she can thank her dad for those'. "My boobs are definitely three times the size, which bothers me". She's looking a lot more like her dad. "She has the most flawless lips in the whole entire world", Jenner trumpeted proudly.